Friday, January 23, 2009

TO WHAT END?



"His intent was that now, through the Church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers & authorities in the heavenly realms, according to His eternal purpose which he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. In Him and through faith in Him we may approach God with freedom & confidence."
Ephesians 3: 10-12

It seems almost impossible to grasp the wonder and power of a prayer event. Externally, the chapel seems to be as familiar as ever. But, as sisters & brothers walk out of the prayer room, they express joy, intimacy, encounters and wonders. You see it on their faces - smiles, fresh tears, peaceful & hopeful countenances.
Amazing.

A dear mentor of mine challenged me to ask of the prayer room events - "To what end?" To what end do we come together as the Body of Christ to intentionally pray in one accord, in the Spirit, with unity and compassion for the needs of others. To what end do we intend to lift our own petitions to the Lord? Are we mistaking God for an idol? Do we take God for a pseudo-Santa Claus who seems to receive requests, honors the lists of those who have been nice, yet hides from those very same kids he seeks to reward with gifts? By no means! God wants to engage us and through prayer establish lines of intimate communication as we would have with a lover.

God wants us to pray with confidence, thanksgiving and without anxiety - however, He just doesn't want us to pick up the phone, call in our order and hang up the phone. He wants us to listen to His voice - often still & small - but always powerful, awesome and overflowing with lavish and immeasurable love.

1 comment:

Laura Fothergill said...

Thank you so much for this sermon! Since Saturday I've been asking myself this "to what end?" question as I pray. I think it is really important for me and everyone to use this in prayers. Too often I see God through the lens of myself especially when I am asking Him something. For me "to what end?" leaves space for me to recognize that I must listen and obey, not command or demand something in return. I have already received more than I deserve from God. This question puts all things in perspective. Thank God for this teaching.